Thursday, June 18, 2009

Balance

I am still working on some other posts. Hopefully this weekend will afford me sometime to finish my impressions of the other three speakers and a post about Debbie Miller's book Teaching with Intention. I am loving that book!

Mary Lee Hahn encouraged us to step beyond children's literature and professional literature. She suggested we read some books for fun. Ironically, next week I am going to a reading institute and one of the requirements is to bring some adult fiction to read during reader's workshop. When I took my own kids to the library today to sign up for the summer reading program I looked at some books for myself. I chose The Secret Life of Bees to start with...so far it has me hooked. I might have to return to the library this weekend for another book to keep me going next week. I am devouring this one.

The balance now is spending some time with The Secret Life of Bees while continuing to read and process Teaching with Intention. I will keep you posted on both!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny--You go, girl! You inspire me! I am trying to read a book (a children's book) a day so that I can learn about this intermediate/middle school literature and what's great. Mary Lee is keeping me on task! She is amazing!
    Isn't Secret Life of Bees the best?!?! I so loved that book. Talk to me about it when you're done.
    Right now I'm reading Jeremy Fink and The Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass (for school) and The Help by Kathryn Stockett (for me)
    I'm following you now! I'm so impressed with your blog!
    Like I said.....you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Marie!!!! I am so glad to hear from you. I just finished The Secret Life of Bees tonight...WOW!!! What a great book. I didn't realize there was a movie-I am so out of the loop. I think it would be one I would like to see, but I am glad to have read the book first. I envisioning on my own without the aid of Hollywood! I am also still reading Teaching with Intention. Between you and Debbie I am thinking of turning my whole world upside down! hahaha!
    This week I am doing the Reading Institute with a staff developer from TC in a neighboring district....after this week and our time at the CLASS conference I will be reading to decompress and begin to think about what the next year might hold for my class!
    I emailed Laurie to get your email. I have a few questions for you...
    GREAT to hear from you...thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete